My to-do list:
1) Make a plan -- there's nothing quite so aggravating as getting into a project and then realizing that you don't know where you're going with it! And, that is par for the course for the not-so-organized! I have thought through where the major pieces of furniture will go and what will be stored in them.
2) Take action -- here's my steps for the day:
- Take out the trash! Grab a grocery sack, or a kitchen garbage bag, or even a bigger one if you need to, and start tossing the things that you know need to get OUT of the room right now! I'm going to focus on the floor and the horizontal surfaces.
- Move the small things out of the way. For me, that means hauling them into the next room, which happens to be my living room. I'm prepared for the reality of this -- my living room is going to be a disaster for a few hours! It's OK.... there is a higher purpose. Just don't leave it there overnight, or it might put down roots!!
- Move the big furniture into place.
- Replace the things you want to have in there. Everything should go to a) Goodwill or other charity, b) the trash, or c) the room where it actually belongs. I will be taking some of my music things to school, and that will clear some space.
For the not-so-organized, this was a big day. I'm imagining that I'll have more projects that have to do with keeping this room humming along nicely. Thanks for joining me. Good luck with your spare room project! Let me know how it goes for you!